Our loved ones’ personal networks are essential to their quality of life today and their security tomorrow. Some of the benefits we’ve seen in the lives of our relatives as a result of strong networks include:
- Greater independence, self-worth, and self-confidence
- Greater sense of belonging
- Connection to community
- More people with whom to enjoy life
- More people to monitor ongoing services
- More people to support the person at the centre to solve problems and resolve crises
- More people to assist in planning, giving advice, and making decisions
- More involvement in activities for the person at the centre, including employment
A Personal Network is the most important benefit of PLAN membership. PLAN creates a personal network of likeminded caring and committed people who join together in a relationship with your relative, other family members, and each other. Once up and running, the network bridges the gap between living on the edge of community and being a full and active participant in that community.
We can assist you in building a personal network for your loved one in a few different ways.
- Take our on-line course on developing networks: Weaving the Ties That Bind
- If you live in the Lower Mainland area and would like to attend a PLAN Orientation to hear more about networks and Lifetime Membership please email us. Note that there is currently a hold on new Lifetime Memberships – we would be pleased to talk with you at the PLAN Orientationin the eventuality that we will be accepting new members shortly.
- If you live outside of the Vancouver area, please visit the website of a PLAN Affiliate near you to see hear more about their work and how you can be involved.
PLAN enables families to create a good life for people with disabilities. . Work with us to give your loved one a network of caring relationships, a sound financial plan, opportunities for contribution and supported decision-making, and a place to call home…. . .
Sign up for the PLAN Ezine