Current Public Policy Campaigns
1. Promote the creation of provincial mechanisms that will assist people and families with low incomes (e.g. a matching British Columbia Disability Savings Bond).
2. Find solution to RDSP guardianship issue – Adults who don’t have capacity to enter into contracts can have RDSPs without using adult guardianship
3. Enable the rollover of Registered Retirement Savings Plans into Registered Disability Savings Plans
4. Harmonize the treatment of trusts and Registered Disability Savings Plans within the Federal Guaranteed Income Supplement Program
5. Reform the eligibility for the Disability Tax Credit to include people with severe intermittent mental health issues and people with mild developmental disabilities
6. Find solution to children turning 19 issue – Children without capacity who have RDSPs and who turn 19 have workable options to maintain their RDSPs beyond adult guardianship
7. Income and disbursements from trusts in BC are treated the same as the RDSP by BC Disability Benefits
8. Families can contribute funds or goods to their relatives with disabilities without claw backs from BC Disability Benefits
9. Review the implications of capacity issues (Representation Agreements, Powers of Attorney, Adult Guardianship, etc.) arising from the use of the Registered Disability Savings Plan
10. Harmonize the treatment of trusts and structured settlements with that of Registered Disability Savings Plans across the full range of provincial programs used by people with disabilities.
“We learned an important organizational lesson in PLAN’s early years. Our innovative programs would not have much impact unless they were recognized by society’s systems and institutions. We needed our governments to recognize and adjust their regulations, policies and statutes to accommodate the solutions that we were developing. Since then we learned that all social innovations require corresponding structural changes in order to be sustainable, long lasting, and to have widespread impact”. - Al Etmanski, Safe and Secure
Sign up for the PLAN Ezine