Walk into any restaurant or taqueria in Mexico and you’ll be sure to find this delicious drink. It is so easy to make and can be very refreshing on a hot summers day. Get as creative as you like adding spices and fruit or just keep it simple and fresh. Cheers!
Photo by Christine Gilbert
• 2 litres of water
• 1/2 to 1 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
• 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers or 6 tea bags
• 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
• A few thin slices of ginger (optional)
• Juice of 1 lime juice
• Orange or lime slices for garnish
Bring the water, sugar, cinnamon and ginger to a boil in a large sauce pan. Reduce and simmer for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the dried hibiscus flowers. Let sit for 10 – 20 minutes
Strain into a pitcher and discard the used hibiscus flowers, ginger and cinnamon.
Let stand until cool. Serve over ice with a slice of orange or lime.