This is one of my all-time favourite recipes. It is so easy to make, delicious and healthy. It’s a great way to pack in tons of vegetables and impress your diners at the same time.
What you’ll need
- 8 large cooked shrimp, peeled, de-veined and cut in half (Chicken or pork are also good options)
- 1 package of rice vermicelli
- 4 sprigs of cilantro
- 4 sprigs of thai basil leaves (optional)
- 1 carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- ¼ cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
- Salad greens
- 8 rice paper wrappers
- 3/4 cup natural-style creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 1/2 medium limes)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 1/4 teaspoons chile-garlic paste (optional)
- 1 medium garlic clove, mashed to a paste
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
Mix all peanut sauce ingredients together until everything is blended well. Set aside.
Chop all vegetables and lay out on a plate so they are ready to assemble.
Use a frying pan or casserole dish wide enough to fit the rice paper wrappers and fill it with half an inch of hot tap water. Take one rice paper wrapper at a time and soak in the water for 15 seconds or until soft. Take out and lay flat on a plate. Add a small amount of each ingredient and roll up tightly while tucking in the ends. Make as many rolls as desired and serve cold with peanut sauce for dipping. Enjoy!